14 Bollywood Celebs Who Did Odd Jobs Before They Became Famous
1. Nawazuddin born in a farmer’s family in Uttar Pradesh, had eight siblings. He used to earn his bread and butter by working as a chemist there. Then, he moved to Delhi, he developed an interest in theatre as he worked as a watchman for one and a half years. This is how he joined The National School of Drama.
2. Boman Irani was a waiter and a room service attendant in Mumbai’s Taj Mahal Palace Hotel before trying his luck in films. He also used to help his mother run their ancestral bakery shop. He then took to photography and joined theatre before Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. came his way.
3. Sidharth Malhotra dabbled in modeling at the age of 18 “just for fun and easy pocket money”; he performed several photo shoots and fashion shows but decided to quit after four years as he was dissatisfied with the profession. Later on he worked as an assistant director to Karan Johar on My Name Is Khan.
4. Parineeti Chopra was a marketing intern in Yash Raj Films studio before becoming a full time actress.
5. Sonakshi Sinha began her career as a costume designer for movies like Mera Dil Leke Dekho in 2005.
6. Ranveer Singh worked in advertising as a copywriter, with agencies like O&M and J. Walter Thompson.
7. Amitabh Bachchan’s first job was in a company called Shaw Wallace a shipping firm as an executive . Later on, the superstar of Bollywood worked as a freight broker for a shipping firm called Bird and Co. He tried being a radio announcer, but was rejected by All India Radio.
8. Akshay Kumar flew to Bangkok to study martial arts, after earning a black belt for himself in Taekwondo. In Bangkok, he served as a chef and waiter. On his India return, he started as a martial arts teacher, where one of his students helped him to get a modelling assignment for a small company.
9. John Abraham tried his hands at modeling but then to earn his bread and butter he worked as a media planner for Enterprises-Nexus.
10. Before hitting the big screen, Rajinikanth worked as a bus conductor for Bangalore Transport Service (BTS). He started doing stage plays only after he was offered to act in mythological moral plays by a Kannada playwright and director Topi Muniappa.
11. Dilip Kumar’s father was a fruit merchant and owned large orchards. In the early 1940’s, Dilip Kumar, (then Yusuf Khan) started his canteen business and started supplying dry fruits in Pune.
12. Before he jumped into film-making, Rakeysh, an SRCC alumnus, used to serve tea on film sets. He had also worked as a vacuum cleaner salesman.
13. He was a craze among girls during his heydays. But did you have an idea that Dev Anand had worked as a clerk in a Censor’s Office, located in Mumbai’s Church Gate area? His used to get Rs. 165 as his monthly salary then.
14. Arshad Warsi was a door to door cosmetic salesman. Later he worked in a photo lab. Meanwhile he had a keen interest in dancing and received an offer to join Akbar Sami’s Dance group in Mumbai, which started his dancing and choreographing career. He also assisted Mahesh Bhatt in Thikana (1987) and Kaash (1987)