29 stapler pins removed
Stapler pins stuck inside the mouth of a 10-month-old child was effectively evacuated through an operation at the Central Referral Hospital (CRH).
Prof Suvamoy Chakraborty, head of the Ear Nose Throat department and Head and Neck surgery department of CRH, who led the operation on Tuesday, said the baby had accidentally ingested 29 stapler pins which got stuck in her oral cavity.
An attempt by her family members to manually remove them precipitated the problem by lodging the set of pins in the nasopharynx, he said.
A group of ENT specialists from CRH, drove by Prof Suvamoy Chakraborty and bolstered by Dr Subhasish Mukherjee and Dr Soumyajit Das effectively performed the operation and the stapler pins were evacuated, Chakraborty included.